"Important Fireback With The Coat Of Arms Of The Lezaack Family (89x105 Cm)"
Important fireback, from the 19th century, with the coat of arms of the Lezaack family, installed since the middle of the 18th century near Liège in Belgium at Chanxhe. On the death, in 1754, of Philippe-Joseph de Hauzeur, ironmaster in Raborive-lez-Aywaille, his widow Marie-Anne-Françoise de Lezaack transported, the same year, the family metallurgical industry to Chanxhe and had a castle built. , still existing. In 1758, she obtained from the Empress Marie-Thérèse, the authorization to erect a furnace in this place, very well located for the transport of minerals and charcoal from the Ardennes, thanks to the river Ourthe. . On the death of his mother in 1762, Thomas-Joseph, canon of Saint Martin in Liège, directed the operation until his death at the Château de Chanxhe in 1818. The Lezaack Chefneux, their cousins, maintained the industry until middle of the 19th century. Its activity ceased in 1864 preceding the demolition of the blast furnaces. Our plate found in Lille most likely comes from the Chanxhe family forges. Coat of arms: Tiercé in fess: 1st gold with a reversed chevron azure; 2nd Azure to the nascent lion Argent armed and langued Gules, moving from the coupé; 3 d'or a chief gules. Crowned helm, a lion hovering. Silver and azure lambrequins. In supports, two lions. His weight is 183 kg. You can visit our website: www.claudeaugustin.com